Education type:Edu type:
Course or training
Education level:Edu level:
Associate degree (EQF 5), Bachelor (EQF 6), Doctorate/PhD (EQF 8), Master (EQF 7), MBO-4/HAVO/VWO (EQF 4)
Fault injection and perturbation testing techniques actively manipulate a side channel on a chip by applying short laser, voltage or clock cycle pulses. In this training course, we address questions like how to recognize where and when to inject a fault, what parameters are relevant, and how to use statistics to analyze faults.
During this course you learn the workflow for performing fault injection and by using fault injection tooling from Riscure you will apply these techniques in practice. You will perform FI test runs with the VC Glitcher and Diode Laser Station on real-world targets. Topics include:
- Explaining fault injection techniques
- The workflow for performing fault injection testing
- Voltage- and clock glitching a smart card PIN verification
- Performing Differential Fault Analysis on a DES / AES operation
- Optical glitching using a multi pulse laser on an RSA operation
At the end of this training you have a thorough understanding of fault injection test methods and you are able to perform this kind of testing on smart cards and embedded chips. You can verify the robustness of chips with none up to basic countermeasures in a simple to moderate environment complexity.
- Manufacturers, security evaluation labs and research institutes evaluating side channel tooling to expand or renew their setup.
- Developers of DPA, EMA and timing analysis resistant hardware.
- Evaluation laboratories looking to get a better grip on performing side channel testing.
- Government organizations seeking to analyze the threat posed by state-of-the-art side channel attacks.
- Inspector customers that wish to train new Inspector users or refresh and update their own knowledge.
- A basic understanding of security and cryptography.
- A basic understanding of embedded and smart card interfaces.
- A conceptual understanding of side channel testing is recommended, but not required to follow the training.
Riscure provides lunch, coffee/tea and beverages and training material. Equipment for the hands-on sessions will be provided, including a training laptop, example cards and acquisition equipment. Each participant will receive a Level 1 certificate of completion.