The HCSS Data internship offers an exciting opportunity for aspiring data scientists get hands on experience solving complex problems. Data activities can vary from operationalizing complex indicators to dashboarding to artificial intelligence applications. Interns gain valuable work experience in a professional environment, which helps them in their future development and careers in both the public and private sector. Also, the HCSS internship offers the opportunity to build and expand your professional network.
The deadline for the application is 8th of December 2019 (23:59) and the start date of the internship is the 1st of January 2020.
Please apply only if you are available for (one of) the above mentioned start dates. HCSS recruits interns all year round; later start dates will be announced in due time.
Candidates should have a first rate academic background, strong transferable skills, and a keen interest in the topics covered by HCSS research.
Further requirements include:
• Candidates must be enrolled as a student at a university during the whole internship period.
• An internship period of six months is highly preferred, although shorter periods can be discussed (absolute minimum is 4 months). Please indicate your availability in your cover letter. Interns should be able to commit to working 40 hours a week.
• Successful candidates are asked to provide a certificate of good conduct (‘Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag’), available from the Dutch Ministry of Justice. Candidates residing outside of the Netherlands should provide a certificate from their country of residence.
Frequently asked questions:
Can I apply if I am no longer a student (recently graduated)? HCSS internships are for enrolled students. Without a proof of enrolment, valid for the entire duration of the internship, you are not eligible. Your application will not be considered.
Is it possible to do a part-time internship? Currently HCSS does not offer part-time internships within the General Internship Program.
To apply, send the following items to email@example.com, using 'General Internship 1/2020 as the subject line.
• A curriculum vitae, including a list of references
• A cover letter
• Proof of university enrolment, valid for the entire duration of the internship
• Copy of official transcript of academic grades
• If applicable, a portfolio of previous data projects
• A one-page writing sample (excluding bibliography if relevant) answering one of the following questions:
1. Consider and quantify a trend which could affect the security of the Netherlands in the next decade. What is being done to address the issue? What more could be done?
2. Develop a methodology that allows for the measurement of a phenomenon that is not directly measurable.
3. Select and discuss an indicator from the world bank database and argue its relevant to security.
4. Consider a tool or methodology which could add value to HCSS products. What are its advantages and limitations?
The whole application should be written in English including the writing sample.
Please apply only if you are available for the above mentioned start date. HCSS recruits interns all year around; later start dates will be announced in due time.
The HCSS internship is paid.
HCSS only considers candidates that submit a complete application and fulfil all eligibility requirements. Successful applicants will be invited for an interview.