The HCSS internship is a dynamic and varied opportunity in research, analysis, data, communication, design, networking, copy writing, and policy development. We are an independent think tank specialized in global trends, security, and geo-economics. Interns contribute to high-impact products for clients including governments, international organizations, research organizations, the private sector, and NGOs.
The HCSS internship offers an excellent springboard for future careers in a wide range of fields, interns are involved as full-fledged team members in research-projects. Activities can range from conducting background research, data collection and analysis, co-writing reports and papers, to being involved in the organization of workshops and conferences. This way, interns gain valuable work experience in a professional environment, which helps them in their future development and careers in both the public and private sector. Also, the HCSS internship offers the opportunity to build and expand your professional network.
Dutch speakers are encouraged to apply.
Candidates should have a first rate academic background, strong transferable skills, and a keen interest in the topics covered by HCSS research.
Further requirements include:
We encourage female applicants to apply!
• Candidates must be enrolled as a student at a university during the whole internship period.
• The minimum internship period is four months; a period of six months is preferred. Interns should be able to commit to working 40 hours a week.
• Successful candidates are asked to provide a certificate of good conduct (‘Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag’), available from the Dutch Ministry of Justice.
HCSS frequently receives questions regarding the above eligibility requirements, especially regarding the working hours and the enrollment. The enrollment requirement means you need to be able to provide a proof of enrollment from a university that is valid for the entire duration of the internship. If you are unable to provide this, unfortunately you are not eligible. Currently, HCSS does not offer part time internships within the General Internship Program.
To apply, send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• A curriculum vitae, including a list of references
• A cover letter
• Proof of university enrollment, valid for the entire duration of the internship
• Copy of official transcript of academic grades
• A one-page writing sample (excluding bibliography if relevant) answering one of the following questions:
1. Consider a trend which could affect the security of the Netherlands in the next decade. What is being done to address the issue? What more could be done?
2. Consider a way in which the Netherlands could exercise more effective foreign policy without increasing military expenditure. What are the advantages and limitations of this approach?
3. Consider a policy which could help the eurozone improve its competitiveness. What are the advantages and limitations of this policy?
4. Consider a tool or methodology which could add value to HCSS products. What are its advantages and limitations?
5. Design an infographic which communicates the main message of an HCSS report in very few words.
Dutch speakers are asked to write their cover letter in English and their writing sample in Dutch.
The HCSS internship is paid.
HCSS only considers candidates that submit a complete application and fulfill all eligibility requirements. Successful applicants will be invited for an interview.