Doctorate/PhD (EQF 8), Master (EQF 7)
The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies (HCSS) is an independent think tank that provides strategic advice to governments, international and non-governmental organizations and corporations. We provide practical solutions for challenges in a fast-changing world. Our multidisciplinary research agenda covers international and national security, defense planning, cybersecurity, climate security, resource and energy issues, and broader geopolitical and geo-economic developments. At HCSS experts from different backgrounds work together in multidisciplinary teams, using innovative and data-driven approaches, and frequently collaborate with our global network of affiliated experts.
We are expanding our team and are hiring a junior strategic analyst. We are looking for individuals, with superior analytical skills, who are able to thrive in a dynamic project organization, and have experience in research, analysis and policy advice. We are looking for people with interesting mixes of passion, creativity and rigor.
Candidates should meet the following requirements and have the following competencies:
- Academic qualifications – advanced graduate degree (PhD desirable) in relevant fields, including Policy Analysis, Political Science (International Security, International Political Economy), Strategic Studies, War Studies, Economics, Sociology, Business Administration, Data science.
- Writing skills – readiness to attribute or take on responsibility for the drafting of short policy memos and full-fledged studies.
- Interpersonal skills – ability to work in an international environment and to give and receive honest feedback; strong oral and written communication skills.
- Analytical and research skills – ability to link conceptual and integrative thinking to applied policy issues; qualitative and quantitative research skills; eagerness to learn and ability to think outside the box; interested in developing and applying tools and methods for 21st century policy analysis.
- Networking – demonstrated ability to network at the level of strategic decision makers and forge trusting relationships with clients.
- Work ethic – result and quality oriented; self-motivated and able to work independently as well in teams; strong sense of integrity and responsibility, flexible.
- Language skills - (near) native fluency in English and Dutch required. Knowledge of other languages (especially Chinese, Russian, Farsi and/or Arabic) is a plus.
Competitive salary package.
To apply, email your CV, cover letter and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.