Cyber Security, National Security, International Organisation and Security
Doctorate/PhD (EQF 8), Master (EQF 7)
The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies (HCSS) is an independent think tank that provides strategic advice to governments, non-governmental organizations and corporations. We provide practical solutions for challenges in a fast-changing world. Our multidisciplinary research agenda covers international and national security, defense planning, cybersecurity, resource and energy issues, and broader geopolitical and geo-economic developments. The HCSS has very experienced professionals working in mixed disciplinary teams as well as international experts of other research institutions. We conduct our research guided through innovative and data-driven approaches. HCSS works independently and in collaboration with its network of affiliated experts.
HCSS is based in the centre of The Hague, the Netherlands, the international City of Peace and Justice hosting i.a. the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court. The Hague has a large expat community, as the city is home to 170+ international organizations, NGOs, and academic institutes. It is also the seat of the Dutch government and Ministries of Security & Justice, Foreign Affairs, and Defense, which are important clients of HCSS.
We are expanding our team and are hiring medior and senior strategic analysts. We are looking for individuals, with superior analytical skills, who are able to thrive in a dynamic project organization, and have a proven track record in research, analysis and policy advice. We are looking for people with interesting mixes of passion, creativity and rigor.
Candidates should meet the following requirements and have the following competences:
- Academic qualifications – advanced graduate degree (PhD desirable) in relevant fields, including Policy Analysis, Political Science (International Security, International Political Economy), Economics, Sociology, Business Administration, Data science
- Work experience – 5+ years in Defense and Security related (research) environments. First hand knowledge of working with the Dutch defense organization is a plus.
- Writing skills – readiness to take on responsibility for the drafting of short policy memos and full-fledged studies. Publication track record in security and defense policy relevant research.
- Leadership– experienced project or team leader with dynamic personality and the ability to effectively guide and inspire others and to foster team work.
- Interpersonal skills – ability to work in an international environment and to give and receive honest feedback; strong oral and written communication skills.
- Analytical and research skills – ability to link conceptual and integrative thinking to applied policy issues, qualitative and quantitative research skills; eagerness to learn and ability to think outside the box; interested in developing and applying tools and methods for 21st century policy analysis.
- Networking – demonstrated ability to network at the level of strategic decision makers and forge trusting relationships with clients.
- Business development – demonstrated track record of acquisition.
- Work ethic – result and quality oriented; self-motivated and able to work independently; strong sense of integrity and responsibility, flexible.
- Language skills - (near) native fluency in English and Dutch. Knowledge of other languages (especially Chinese, Russian, Farsi and/or Arabic) is a plus.
Competitive salary package.
To apply, email your CV, cover letter and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.