Doctorate/PhD (EQF 8), Master (EQF 7)
We are looking for an On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer to work at our Client’s premises in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
This position will contribute to the On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section, providing functional support to projects and carrying out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Providing technical support to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of platform and payload data handling systems throughout all project phases
- Participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals
- Identifying critical development problems and assisting in their resolution
- Contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans for the Agency’s technology programmes
- Defining, initiating and supporting R&D activities covering both long- and short-term needs
- Fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, with an emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures
- Laboratory activities, as required
- Monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise
- Contributing to the dissemination of the results of the activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency
- Validation of designs by means of simulation techniques (e.g. Matlab, SystemC and simulations at electrical/board level).
- Knowledge of on board links, buses, wireless local networking and communication protocols.
- Design, implementation and testing tasks for the Section’s technological projects (e.g. small technology demonstration satellites).
- Design, implementation and testing tasks related to standardisation efforts (e.g. CCSDS CFDP standard consolidation and validation, On Board Interfaces Services, Electronic Data Sheets).
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- Master or PhD in electronics, networks, telecommunications or a related field.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards). This includes the ability to design, review and simulate analogue and digital electronics for data handling units (use of FPGA/processors/micro-controllers, single-point-failure-free circuitry, failure containment techniques and use of COTS with radiation mitigation techniques).
- Understanding of electrical satellite systems architectures.
- Deep knowledge of data handling functions and their implementation.
- Knowledge of CCSDS communication protocols and related standards.
- Extensive knowledge of intra-satellite communication protocols (Mil1553, CAN, SpaceWire).
- Experience in equipment procurement, sub-systems integration and testing.
- Experience in spacecraft project support in particular related to spacecraft data handling, on-board data interfaces, associated protocols and system level validation.
- Ability to work in an autonomous manner, in particular when providing support to projects with high time allocations and this in coordination with the line manager.
Knowledge in the following areas would be highly desirable:
- Design and Use of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE).
- Design, validation and verification of AI/ML Processing Algorithm inferred on HW/SW platform(s).
- Design of electronic boards for radiation testing of analogue and digital circuitry based on COTS.