Location: London, Belfast, The Hague
Role: Security Engineer – Cryptography (Mid-Level)
We’re a IoT security company focused on protecting M2M communications for Smart Cities and Mobility. Headquartered in Belfast, with offices in London and The Hague, we have developed solutions that protect devices’ identities. With an increase of inherently insecure networks coming online with the boom of IoT, our solutions safeguard critical machine-to-machine communication integrity and data provenance, creating trusted connections, even in untrustworthy networks.
Since our formation, we have been moving at a high speed. We have been named as the Top Cyber Security company in NI, ranked 4th in NI’s Top 50 Tech companies, and nominated for Start-up of the Year. We’re also one of the Top 3 Hottest Space Tech start-ups in Europe! Our ground-breaking technology has led us to be the only cybersecurity company to win a place on Zenzic’s CAM Scale-Up Programme, and we are proud alumnus of Tech Nation’s Cyber 2.0, Seraphim Space Camp and YES!Delft. We are also the first (and only!) NI cyber security company to be a part of the NCSC Cyber Accelerator.
We are entering an exciting phase of growth, and to achieve our goals we are seeking to develop our gifted, talented and international team. We aim to combine the best business and technical brains, to build a workplace where we continue to create breakthroughs at the forefront of technology.
We are looking for a Security Engineer in Cryptography (Cryptographer), who loves challenges, has a research-oriented mindset, and is specialised in designing and implementing cryptographic protocols and products. You will manage the development and transformation of ground-breaking research into commercially viable, and reliable, authentication and encryption products. You will advance our research efforts in IoT Security, the Identity of Things (IDoT), Machine-to Machine (M2M) communication security and authentication, zero-trust networks and zero-knowledge systems.
You will report to the Security Lead and Engineering Lead. Some responsibilities include:
- Design and develop cryptographic protocols
- Lead and contribute to the development and delivery of critical cryptographic primitives, libraries and functions underpinning Angoka’s solution
- Verify and test the cryptographic principles used within Angoka’s products
- Collaborate and support the Engineering Team to ease the transition of the research pieces of code, into robust production software fully integrated with our hardware security module
- Produce technical design and functional specifications
- Create high quality technical sheets, security white papers and blogs
- Contribute to the various stages in the accreditation of Angoka’s cryptographic systems by national and international standard and governmental bodies
- Support research colleagues in conducting their research around Dynamic Key generation, Distributed Key Management, Zero-Knowledge Proof, and Post-Quantum Cryptography.
- Contribute to writing patents and research papers where appropriate
- Provide technical expertise, advice and mentorship to junior team members and support them in building their skills and knowledge
- Proven ability in designing cryptographic principles and protocols for secure communication
- Solid applied cryptography skills and experience
- Strong working experience in developing and implementing cryptographic primitives and protocols and controls
- Strong knowledge and experience in cryptographic key management and life cycle
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following security concepts and principles: Group Signatures and Distributed Certificate Authorities, Zero Knowledge Proof, and Zero Trust Model – is essential
- Good knowledge and/or experience with Hardware Security Models (HSMs), Trusted Platform Models (TPMs), Security Elements and Physical Unclonable Functions (PuFs) is a bonus
- Solid working knowledge of MATLAB, C, C++ and Python
- Proven experience (4-6 years) of working in a security role, focused on implementing and testing cryptographic systems to secure real-time computing, high availability networks and communication systems
- Qualified to at least an MSc degree in cyber security, cryptography, mathematics, computer science, or any other subject with substantial mathematical content
- A PhD in cryptography, cyber security, mathematics, or related fields is a bonus
- Applicable knowledge and experience in one or more of the following industries: Automotive, Telecom, Defence and Critical National Infrastructure is a bonus
- Proven ability to rapidly interpret technical and business requirements and understand complex trade-offs in drawing conclusions and recommendations
- Demonstrable ability to engage and work with other technical experts and incorporate their input and feedback
- Proven ability to communicate complex topics clearly and concisely
- Excellent verbal and written technical English communications skills
- Limitless growth and development, working in a fast-paced international environment
- The opportunity to be mentored by some of the industry’s top subject matter experts
- The chance to travel across the business R&D centers in Northern Ireland, England, Wales, The Netherlands, Germany and Japan
- Free hot and cold beverages and snacks in the office
- Equity (Stock Options)
Training & Development
At Angoka we’re proud of our inclusive and supportive working environment that’s designed to encourage open minds and help you fulfil your potential. We offer comprehensive training and development opportunities, tailored to the requirements of your work and your personal needs and we’ll enable you to flourish in your role and perform to the very best of your abilities. All new starters will have access to substantial internal training, covering both security and technological topics, and will be assigned a mentor upon joining.
Angoka is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds and experiences. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
At Angoka, all our hiring decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture that supports and represents our diverse society.