The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies (HCSS) is a leading Dutch independent think tank that provides strategic advice to governments, non-governmental organizations and corporations. We provide practical solutions for challenges in a fast-changing world. Our multidisciplinary research agenda covers international and national security, defense planning, cybersecurity, resource, climate and energy issues, and broader geopolitical and geo-economic developments. HCSS has very experienced professionals, working in mixed disciplinary teams as well with international experts of other research institutions. We conduct our research guided through innovative and data-driven approaches. HCSS works independently and in collaboration with its network of affiliated experts.
HCSS is based in the centre of The Hague, the Netherlands, the international City of Peace and Justice hosting i.a. the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court. The Hague has a large expat community, as the city is home to 170+ international organizations, NGOs, and academic institutes. It is also the seat of the Dutch government and Ministries of Security & Justice, Foreign Affairs, Economic Affairs and Climate, and Defense, which are important clients of HCSS.
We are expanding our team and are hiring a Strategic Climate Security Analyst (Medior/Senior). We are looking for people with interesting mixes of passion, creativity and rigor. More specifically, we are looking for an entrepreneurial individual with an excellent academic track record, with specific expertise in the field of climate security.
He/she is interested in geopolitics and the climate security- and natural resources (energy, water, food, raw materials) nexus. Our individual possesses superior analytical skills and thrives in a dynamic project organization.
· Spearhead the development of the HCSS climate security research portfolio
· Acquisition of climate security-natural resources nexus projects
· Design and execute research projects in close collaboration with the HCSS Data Lab
· Organize and attend meetings and conferences and engage in media activities (podcasts, publications for newspapers, etc.)
Candidates should meet the following requirements and have the following competences:
· Academic qualifications – advanced graduate degree (PhD) in relevant fields, including Political Science, Economics, Climate and/or Energy Policy, Engineering or Environmental Sciences.
· Work experience – 5+ years in Climate Security related (research) environments. First-hand knowledge of working with government and private organizations, especially in Europe and the Netherlands, is a plus.
· Language skills - fluency in English and Dutch.
· Writing skills – readiness to take on responsibility for the drafting of reports, short articles and full-fledged studies. Publication track record in climate security related topics.
· Business development – demonstrated track record of acquisition.
· Networking – demonstrated ability to network at the level of strategic decision makers and forge trusting relationships with clients.
· Leadership– experienced project or team leader with dynamic personality and the ability to effectively guide and inspire others and to foster teamwork.
· Interpersonal skills – ability to work in an international environment and to give and receive honest feedback; strong oral and written communication skills.
· Analytical and research skills – ability to link conceptual and integrative thinking to applied policy issues, qualitative and quantitative research skills; eagerness to learn and ability to think outside the box; interested in developing and applying tools and methods for 21st century climate nexus policy analysis.
· Work ethic – entrepreneurial, dedication, reliability, perseverance, having a keen eye for detail, strong intellect, creativity and an ability to work independently and take initiative.
Competitive salary package.
To apply, email your CV, cover letter and a writing sample to email@example.com and mention "Strategic Climate Security Analyst" as your subject line.