ING Model Development
Model Development is responsible for the development of all risk models including all the quantitative methods and standards at ING. Model Development consists of over 250 highly specialized colleagues who are passionate about developing the best possible models to quantify the risk undertaken by ING.
Risk and Pricing Advanced Analytics Team
The RPAA Team is one of the Centres of Excellence (CoE) of Model Development, providing ING with machine learning expertise for the development of the Risk and Pricing models in scope. We are based in Amsterdam and consist of 11 highly-skilled and talented Data Scientists from diverse nationalities and backgrounds (such as physics, statistics, maths, computer science, econometrics, astrophysics). We work in a fun and creative environment, and we are dedicated to bringing out the best in both each other and our projects through collaboration and knowledge sharing. The portfolio of projects is broad and uses a wide range of algorithms and tools, but all relate to risk and pricing. In short, we offer a world-class working environment for data scientists to make an impact and never stop learning.
What you’ll do
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be
- assigned to one or two machine learning projects at a time,
- working together with other data scientists,
- actively engaging with stakeholders,
- successfully and independently running a data science project,
- responsible for projects such as developing unique credit decision models built on transactional data that will enable instant lending for our customers,
- teaching data science fundamentals to local colleagues and stakeholders,
- collaborating with subject matter experts and machine learning engineers to bring your advanced models to production.
Who are you?
- You are highly motivated when solving complex problems and have an always-learning attitude. You keep on top of the latest developments in machine learning and apply them in your projects where they bring value.
- You enjoy sharing knowledge with your teammates and helping others improve alongside you.
- You have a solid and broad background in machine learning for classification, regression, clustering, and natural language processing. You have experience with algorithms such as random forests, gradient-boosted decision trees, logistic regression, and neural networks.
- You have prior experience building machine learning models to solve real world problems, and you are able to take ownership of a data science project from solution design to model delivery.
- You enjoy coding. You have strong Python and software engineering skills, and you know your way around the linux shell. You know how to use git for version control, how to set up CI/CD pipelines, and how to use SQL dialects.
- Willingness to learn: you are self-reflective and open to constructive criticism on both the technical and interpersonal level.
- Willingness to travel, when it becomes safe to do so.
- Theoretical knowledge of statistical modelling and machine learning, and a demonstrated ability to apply these to solve business problems and develop innovative models and/or data-driven products.
- 3-5 years of work experience in the data science field, ideally in the private sector. Knowledge of credit risk and credit decision domains is a strong plus.
- You have a very solid background in mathematics and statistics (M.Sc. or Ph.D.).
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills in both technical and business contexts.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong Python programming skills. Also appreciated are open-source contributions, Spark experience, data engineering fundamentals, and familiarity with DevOps and an Agile mindset.
What we offer
- An opportunity to become part of an international and ambitious team of highly-skilled, talented people who love working collaboratively.
- A full-time position (40 hours / week).
- An excellent package including 13th month, holiday allowance, and personal choice budget.
- A very stimulating intellectual environment as part of an international Centre of Excellence and the global ING Analytics community.
- Exciting, impactful and highly-visible projects in a global organization where advanced analytics are a strategic priority.
- A MacBook Pro, plus an allowance for a work mobile and your home office setup for our Hybrid Mode way of working.
- The opportunity to travel to cities such as Brussels, Milan, Bucharest, or Istanbul for about 20% of your time (when it is safe to do so).
About ING’s Think Forward strategy
ING’s purpose is to empower people to stay a step ahead in life and in business. We enjoy strong brand recognition throughout the banking industry with a high degree of recognition from customers in many countries, a strong financial position, an omnichannel distribution strategy, and an international network.
If you want to work in an environment where you believe that you can make a difference by using machine learning to generate data-driven solutions and solve the most pressing business problems, then this position is for you.
We are incredibly excited about Advanced Analytics and the great potential for progress and innovation. We believe that analytics is a key differentiator in bringing “anytime, anywhere, personalized” services to our customers. We want to improve our operational processes and create new and innovative data-driven solutions that go beyond traditional banking. Achieving this vision requires us to build and expand on our analytics effort and organize ourselves around focused-value buckets with strong coordination capabilities in data, technology, customer journey, and UX, as well as external partnerships.