The Operations Directorate deals with the core business of Europol, improving the effectiveness and cooperation of the competent authorities in the Member States in preventing and combating serious and organised crime, as well as terrorism affecting the Member States. This requires close cooperation with the Liaison Bureaux at Europol and via them with the Operational Teams in the Member States. Europol delivers a number of products and services to national law enforcement agencies to support them in their fight against international serious and organised crime, as well as terrorism. The Operations Directorate hosts five distinct Departments: Operational and Analysis Centre, European Serious Organised Crime Centre, European Cyber Crime Centre, European Counter Terrorism Centre and the European Financial and Economic Crime Centre (EFECC).
The two positions of Specialist – Economic and Financial Crime are located in the Unit Operations in EFECC. EFECC provides support and coordination to Member States in the fight against financial and economic crimes in the European Union, delivering operational and investigative services on complex financial investigations. It also provides support to the European Union’s institutions and Member States in building operational and analytical capacity for investigations and in strengthening the cooperation with external partners, both in the public and private sector.
The Unit Operations covers economic crime, financial crime and counterfeiting (including the intellectual property crime coordinated coalition and the forgery of money project).Under the guidance of the Head of the Operational Unit EFECC and the supervision of the Head of Team/Head of Office, the successful applicants will be responsible to contribute to the operational aspects of cooperation and coordination for the EFECC Operations and will be rendering operational support within projects in the field of Excise Fraud and/or Asset Recovery.
The successful applicant will have to carry out the following main duties:
• Support project oriented activities, with specific emphasis on economic and financial crime and related intelligence and investigations;
• Provide subject matter expertise to operational activities aimed at fighting excise fraud or asset recovery;
• Deliver operational support by APs Smoke or Asset Recovery to operational activities and investigations from Member States. Adopt a qualitative perspective based on priority support to operations against High Value Targets;
• Initiate and assist in producing analytical outputs (operational and strategic) and other relevant intelligence products in the fields of excise fraud or asset recovery;
• Enhance Europol’s ability to exploit financial intelligence with the aim of supporting investigations of Member States and supervise the information flow between the Front Office of the Operations Directorate and APs Smoke or Asset Recovery;
• Establish, maintain and foster close contacts with the Member States and Third Parties’ Liaison Officers to encourage and support operational activities in the field of responsibility;
• Ensure participation and operational support to the Excise Fraud or Criminal Finances Money Laundering and Asset recovery EMPACT priorities within the EU policy cycle;
• Support the Head of Office in operational and strategic matters carried out by Europol or EU Institutions and Agencies in the field of economic and financial crime;
• Represent Europol at meetings, trainings and other events and deliver presentations, increase awareness and provide expert knowledge and advice in the area of responsibility;
• Organize and facilitate working groups, meetings or conferences in the field of responsibility;
• Perform any other duties in the area of competence as assigned by the line management.
For more information about this vacancy, click here.