NCI Agency is looking for an Engineer with experience in Analysis, design, implementation and maintenance of authorized software changes, related applications software and the integration/tailoring of vendor supplied components. If you have experience in these areas, this post is ideal for you!
The C2 Service Line’s area of work includes (but not limited to) Command & Control Information Systems such as; Land, Maritime, Hydrological, Meteorological and Oceanographic domains, Joint and Time Sensitive Targeting and Situational Awareness including Common Operational Picture
Under the supervision of a project manager, but largely on your own initiative, you will perform duties such as the following:
Analysis, design, implementation and maintenance of authorized software changes, related applications software and the integration/tailoring of vendor supplied components, following established procedures for quality, configuration control, testing, documentation and security;
Support the transition of systems and services to the operational environment by performing system deployment and software installation (remotely or on-site);
Provide expeditious technical support services to the NATO Functional Area Services including emergency troubleshooting and on-site assistance (at NATO and national sites) to ensure key information systems remain operational;
Support the development of new NATO capabilities by participating in capturing and validating user requirements;
Support software testing using relevant software engineering technologies and methods using the available tools to support the full software lifecycle;
Be responsible for the maintenance and upgrading of the documentation of assigned software applications;
Analyse and track deficiencies and change requests to the software baselines in the NCI Agency tracking systems (e.g. ITSM, Microsoft TFS and Trac);
Interact with peers on other projects within and between Service Lines, and provide guidance and subject matter expertise;
Supervise technical staff and contractors in the area of work;
Represent the Agency in assigned NATO committees, steering groups/boards as required;
Perform other duties in accordance with NCI Agency’s area of business as may be required.
You will also be responsible for:
Responding to situations where first-line product support has failed to isolate or fix problems in malfunctioning equipment or software;
Assisting other members of the team with technical issues that need further troubleshooting before escalating to Engineering;
Ensuring that customer relationships are managed through proactive rapid customer communication;
Resolving customer issues which will routinely include working in complex product and infrastructure configurations;
Training the customers on product features;
Escalating product defects and issues and driving them towards resolution while managing the customer expectations;
Coordination and cooperation of work with other Service Lines and organizational elements;
Establishing and maintaining internal and external contacts with other civilian and military staff concerned with related or similar efforts in agencies or headquarters such as ACT, ACO, NATO HQ, National defence organisations and laboratories, and private scientific and industrial organizations.
Supervise assigned project staff to ensure technical standards, project milestones and financial goals are met;
Supervise the work of Project teams and ensure delivery of the products assigned to the Team;
Co-ordination with Project Managers and Technical Leaders to ensure interoperability and coherence with relevant applications outside the project domain.
We are looking for a candidate with a - A Master of Science (MSc) degree at a nationally recognised/certified University in a technical subject with substantial Engineering, Computer Sciences, or related disciplines with 2 years post-related experience and supplemented by relevant postgraduate qualifications. Or exceptionally, the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by the demonstration of a candidate particular abilities or experience that is/are of interest to NCI Agency; that is, at least 10 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post.
In addition to 2 years in operation, administration, testing or maintenance of software for modern IT systems in a networked, distributed and production application environment, you will also have practical experience in several (but not necessarily all) of the following areas:
- Microsoft Windows Server and Windows Active Directory environment installation and maintenance;
- System and Web-based applications troubleshooting and fault analysis;
- Virtualized environments (e.g. Hyper-V, VMware)
- Relational databases management including backups, archiving and replication;
- Maintenance or knowledge of all supporting components such as monitoring, alarming and performance analysis systems;
- Modern digital networking techniques, protocols and standards;
- Data and systems interoperability, interoperability testing standards, procedures and methodologies.
The following will be considered as an advantage:
- Military Command and Control Information Systems;
- Microsoft Windows, SQL Server, BizTalk Server, SharePoint Server;
- IT Service Management and tools;
- Disaster Recovery, Audit activities, support process reviews/enhancements;
- Use of modern concepts for software configuration management and quality assurance;
- Security cross-domain information exchange methodologies, tools and techniques.
- Experience with Software Application development and database Debugging and troubleshooting;
- Development and support of applications based on object-oriented and structured programming languages;
- Service Oriented Architecture and associated tools (e.g. SOAP UI, Fiddler);
- Experience with systems support and maintenance in the NATO or similar defence or industry environment.
- Knowledge of Security assurance requirements for military information systems and Commercial and military information exchange standards will be an asset.
We are looking for a person who demonstrates the following behavioural competencies:
Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Adhering to Principles and Values - Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Relating and Networking - Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries
Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language, and therefore a thorough knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of French is desirable.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
- Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
- The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
- Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.