Cyber, Cyber Security, Securitytester
Bachelor (EQF 6), Master (EQF 7)
ENCS is looking for someone with an embedded software or hardware development background looking to move into the field of security.
In the development of the smart grid millions of devices are being installed to monitor and control the electricity distribution grid. Smart meters are installed in homes, remote terminal units (RTUs) are installed in substations, and electric vehicle charging poles are being installed in cities and along roads. To ensure the reliable delivery of electricity it is crucial that all these components are secure.
Junior Embedded Security testers evaluate if devices installed in the grid are secure. This work is performed through two activities:
- Testing components. To ensure that the components that our members use are secure, ENCS offers its members harmonized sets of requirements to procure smart meters, RTUs and EV chargers. These cover all aspects needed to operate a device in an end-to-end secure manner, from encryption and authentication to access control and logging. It is up to the security testers to assess if the devices are secure. Embedded security testers are responsible for testing these devices, improving the tests and the testing tools.
- Penetration testing operational systems. Once a grid operator has procured devices with the right security functionality, it is important that they are used securely. To ensure this ENCS performs penetration tests of the entire chain from the central systems to the devices in the field. The Junior Embedded testers assesses the security of the deployed devices by their configuration, use and traffic.
For the role of junior embedded security tester, we’re looking for someone with the following skills:
- Bachelor or Masters in a relevant field, for instance, computer science or electronics
- Experience in developing software for embedded devices
- Security interest
- Understanding communication protocols
- Programming experience in C and Python
- Independent worker
- Curious and willing to learn
- Fluency in English speaking and writing
- Linux proficiency
Additional useful skills are:
- Security experience
- Programming in other languages
- Experience automating common tasks
- Fluency in a second major European language
- Knowledge of Smart Meter protocols such as DLMS
- Knowledge of the IEC 60870-5-104 protocol
When infrastructure is critical, so is its security. With an ever more connected electricity grid, cyber security challenges are multiplying every day and demand a new way of thinking from security professionals.
Founded in 2012, the European Network for Cyber Security (ENCS) is an independent, non-profit organisation dedicated to enhancing the security of critical energy infrastructures across Europe. Using our network in academia, government and business, we provide cyber security solutions and counsel to utilities and regulators.
By joining ENCS you’ll be part of a small, international team of industry experts making a real difference to critical infrastructure cyber security developments in Europe. From our offices in The Hague you’ll work across Europe, giving you the chance to:
- Work at the forefront of new security developments. Smart grids, electric vehicles, and industrial control systems offer unique security challenges. We are in a leading position to meet these by developing new solutions, finding new classes of vulnerabilities, and setting the standard for smart grid cyber security.
- Protect society. Keeping the grid secure while it is increasingly automated is critical if our society is to transition to renewable energy. ENCS has a unique position to act on behalf of our members to make sure their systems are secure.
- Develop your skills in an international environment. ENCS is a small company taking on big challenges. That creates a unique environment for ambitious talent to grow and take on new responsibilities.
- An attractive salary ( EUR 2500 – EUR 4000 a month based on experience)
- Health insurance contribution
- Pension contribution
- Mobility budget
- Laptop and mobile phone
Interested in joining us?
We hope so. Please submit your CV and a supporting cover letter in English outlining why you want to work For ENCS by e-mail to: email@example.com
Please note that an employee screening is part of the interview process. All employees of ENCS need to obtain a Police Clearance Certificate/Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG).