This selection procedure is intended to establish a reserve list of successful candidates (indicative number is 5). There are currently 2 secondment opportunities available. Europol may retain the right to make use of the serve list to select candidates for similar secondments, should business needs require so.
The position of SNE is located in the Operational Unit of the European Counter Terrorism Centre, Operations Directorate.
Mandate of the team:
The Operations Directorate deals with the core business of Europol, improving the effectiveness and cooperation of the competent authorities in the Member States in preventing and combating serious and organised crime, as well as terrorism affecting the Member States (MS). This requires close cooperation with the Liaison Bureaux at Europol and via them with the Operational Teams in the Member States.
Europol delivers a number of products and services to national law enforcement agencies to support them in their fight against international serious and organised crime, as well as terrorism.
Within the European Counter Terrorism Centre of the Operations Directorate, the EU IRU is responsible to anticipate and pre-empt terrorist abuse of online tools, as well as to play a pro-active advisory role towards EU MS and the private sector.
EU IRU benefits from dynamic online research capabilities with the support of the technical and operational expertise existing within the relevant Europol units, and has an active engagement with relevant industry partners, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and academic communities. The team operates as a service provider to EU MS in accordance with their operational priorities. To this end, it will provide a tailored service to the EU MS, from complementing their referral capabilities to handling the referrals on their behalf.
Purpose of the Secondment:
Under the supervision of the Head of Team of the EU IRU, the successful incumbent will be responsible for supporting the prevention of terrorist abuse of on-line tools.
BACKGROUND, MAIN PURPOSE AND TASKS OF THE POST
The SNE will carry out the following main functions and duties:
• Support the content identification and the referral process within EU IRU;
• Advise operational investigators on investigations within the context of EU IRU;
• Liaise with the relevant competent authorities in the Member States and third parties;
• Provide specialised knowledge and experience to EU IRU operational activities;
• Process large volume of data;
• Support on-going large operations and investigations;
• Based on Member States information, prepare reports on possible opportunities for Europol and the Member States to work together on specific intelligence and information;
• Undergo specific training;
• Establish close contacts with the Member States and Third Parties’ Liaison Officers to encourage and support operational activities in the field of responsibility of the EU IRU team.