We are the NATO's IT Agency serving 29 nations by deploying and defending its networks, and providing real-life support to its operations and missions. We are working around the clock safeguarding the freedom and security of nearly 1 billion citizens.
The NCI Agency is currently seeking a number of Security guards to implement 24-hour armed control of entry to the NCI Agency compound. As a Security Guard you will be protecting NCI Agency personnel and material from harm or loss; undertaking patrol activities, monitoring security and communications systems and writing reports and providing briefings on incidents and events.
If you are a Security Guard with a police/security background and knowledge of personal computers and Office Automation, then this position is ideal for you!
NOTE TO CANDIDATES: This vacancy is published in anticipation of future requirements and establishment of a skill pool. Inclusion in the skill pool does not guarantee employment within the Agency. Skill pool will be valid for a period of 18 months from the time of including a candidate in the Skill Pool.
The NCI Agency's General Services Directorate is an organization pulling together the general services for the NCI Agency and is responsible for providing general protective security and force protection (FP), including the armed protection of Agency personnel, buildings, and property, within the NCI Agency site in The Hague.
Under the oversight of the Site Security Manager but under daily supervision of Senior Security Guards, but largely on own initiative, you will carry out duties such as the following:
- Implementing 24-hour armed control of entry to the NCI Agency compound and the main building and associated facilities;
- Protecting the NCI Agency personnel, contractors and NATO classified material from harm or loss;
- Undertaking armed internal and external patrol activities within the NCI Agency buildings and compound;
- Ensuring that good order is maintained throughout the NCI Agency premises;
- Monitor security systems, action and provide written reports on all Security Alarm activations;
- Monitoring communication systems including responding to external inquiries;
- Provide oral and written reports on any security incidents/occurrences;
- Undertake on-the-job training (OJT) under the direction of C4 Shift Leader or his deputy;
- Undertaking on-shift exercises as required;
- Undertaking personal initial and refresher professional training as necessary (First Aid, Fire-Fighting, Bomb Search, Shooting, X-Ray);
- Working day and night shift roster as required;
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
- Performs other duties as may be required.
We are looking for candidates with a good general education
In addition to at least 2 years experience in the duties related to the function of the post, we also require sound knowledge of the following:
A police/security background of at least two years;
Good standard of physical fitness, appearance, and bearing;
Knowledge of Personal Computers and Office Automation;
Ability to write short reports in English
The following will be considered as an advantage
Knowledge of the NATO security regulations and procedures;
Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT.
Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Following Instructions and Procedures - Appropriately follows instructions from others without unnecessarily challenging authority; Follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organization; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
An ability to speak in English and do some limited writing is essential. Knowledge of Dutch and French is desirable;
NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
May be appointed as a Deputy Shift Leader as required.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance, and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
- Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
- The skills, competencies and behaviors, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
- Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.
Please note: Due to the Agency’s transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency’s recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months. We appreciate your patience.