3000 people are working 24/7 to protect 1.5 billion citizens. We serve 29 nations by defending its networks, and providing real life support to NATO operations and missions. We connect the Alliance. We are leading IT professionals. We are NCI Agency.
The NCI Agency is looking for a talented Principal Scientific Assistant. In this role, you will participate in the new, or enhancement of existing software. If you possess relevant education, at least 8 years of relevant experience, and keep abreast of new technology, we would like to meet you!
The Command and Control (C2) Service Line is accountable for planning and executing all lifecycle management activities (design, transition and operations) for Joint/Maritime/Land C2 services (including: domain expertise; research and development; software engineering; acquisition; operations and maintenance; and, disposal) in the following C3 Community of Interest (COI) technical service areas: Land; Maritime; Joint; Special Operations; Environmental including Meteorological and Oceanographic (METOC); Civil Military Co-operation (CIMIC); Chemical, Biological, Radiation and Nuclear (CBRN); Operational planning ; Tasking and order services; Situational awareness ; Special C2 services NATO Nuclear Planning System (NNPS), NATO Nuclear Command, Control and Reporting System (NNCCRS), Shared Early Warning (SEW); The Service Line also retains accountability for the acquisition of AirC2IS Increment 1.
You will contribute directly to project teams which exploit current and emerging technologies to deliver interoperable and integrated C2 services to NATO and the Nations.
Under the direction of a project manager or team leader, you will perform duties such as the following:
- Participate in most aspects of the full project lifecycle for the development of new, or enhancement of existing software;
- Participate in the design and specification of service oriented architectures;
- Develop or sustain software modules that handle data and information, including legacy formats such as tactical data links and ASTERIX;
- Develop or maintain software modules that provide interoperability between systems including data formatting and format conversion;
- Interact with peers to provide guidance in the area of integrated and interoperable systems;
- Assist in the specification, development, documentation, testing, fielding and maintenance of software based systems including specialized, near real-time and distributed C2 systems;
- Participate in preparation and conduct of laboratory measurements and field trials. Participate in the collection, integration and analysis of live, or recorded, data from operational systems;
- Assist in the preparation of, and occasionally deliver briefings and presentations;
- Assist in the preparation of scientific reports;
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
- Performs other duties as may be required.
We are looking for a candidate with a vocational training at a higher technical level in the field of computer science, engineering (computer, electronic or software) or equivalent. A higher educational qualification but less practical experience or a less formal educational background combined with particularly relevant practical experience may also be acceptable.
At least 8 years relevant experience, which should include several of the following areas:
- Software development:
Extensive experience (at least 5 years) with either Java or .NET.
Experience in formal software development methodologies, modern software design techniques, configuration control and management.
Programming techniques and environments, with emphasis on development of near real-time software and/or distributed systems.
Service interface design, with an emphasis on RESTful and SOAP-based services.
Web application development.
- Service design for cloud-based environments.
- Modern network service techniques, protocols and standards.
- Programming experience with network protocols.
- Key Internet technologies (XML, SOAP, HTTP, MIME, JSON, REST, WS-Notification, etc.).
- Design of Service Oriented Architectures, including micro-services.
- Installation, configuration, integration and management of systems.
- Provisioning of services (UNIX and/or Windows).
- RDBMS design, development or programming.
- Domain specific interoperability specifications.
- Service containerization.
- Writing technical documentation and user guides.
The following will be considered as an advantage:
- Knowledge of Command and Control concepts, processes and tools.
- Knowledge of and experience with (military) information exchange standards (e.g., TDL, FFT, MTF);
- Experience with multi-national system interoperability, interoperability standards, interoperability testing, procedures and methodologies.
- Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
- Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT.
Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience;
Planning and Organising - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCIA offices.
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language, and therefore a thorough knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of French is desirable.