Python, Software engineer
Bachelor (EQF 6), Master (EQF 7)
Job description: senior software engineer
Software is getting more complex, the amount of criminal hackers is growing, and automatic tools for software engineers are just not good enough. Human software security experts are just irreplaceable, but have too much work. We are empowering ethical hackers: we are building the Codean Review Environment that makes the work of security analysts up to 10 times faster (for certain tasks).
This environment is for a security analyst what an Integrated Development Environment is for you. Interestingly, most security analysts use an IDE for security analysis, even though it's made for software development. Our environment is tailor made for security analysis: it has features ranging from keeping track what is reviewed, to symbiotic taint analysis.
Our founder Kevin Valk is has been ethical hacker and software developer for 15 years (with some nice hacking war stories). He started building the first version of the Codean Review Environment early 2020. The past months we have grown with 2 backend developers, 1 frontend, 1 intern, and will add more to the development team this year. In 3 years we expect to be with 25 people in total.
We are looking for a senior software engineer who can ensure great code quality, mainly by leading by example but also by sharing knowledge with junior colleagues. We are building the fundamentals of a complete new (and quite complex!) environment, to revolutionalize software security analysis; and that basis must be solid.
We are on a great adventure. Our mission is to become a global tech leader in software security, and the potential is recognized by various experts. If this adventure sounds as fun and exciting as we think it sounds: let's meet.
So what is our stack?
- Terraform (bootstrap) + Kubernetes to define all infrastructure (at this moment running on GCP, but we try to keep it cloud agnostic).
- The backend is written in Python using the Starlette framework. However, we are already preparing to go into a polyglot micro architecture.
- Our frontend is completely written in Typescript and Vue 3.
- We use GraphQL for data communication between frontend and backend.
Oh and we are a firm believer of the continues deployment, continues integration way and as such we use GitOps.
What we offer
- Working with the state of the art technology in software security
- Joining the adventure of building a worldwide tech leader in software security
- Flexible hours: as long as you deliver your working hours are flexible
- Working remote first: we don't have an office, so you work from home or another location you prefer. We do meet each other every month for a full day of inspiration, cooperation and team building at varying inspirational locations in and around Utrecht (the Netherlands)
- 3 times a year a two-day retreat to work (on our strategy, team, internal communication) and have fun. In a big mansion in the mountains/woods/beach (feel free to join the discussion which location suits best)
- Long-term involvement starting with a 7-month contract
- Fair startup salary and a stock option plan being prepared
- We supply you with a top-notch laptop and other gear (screen/keyboard/mouse/etc.) to work smooth and efficient. Really, we supply you with top quality. And we leave it up to you to go for Mac, Windows or Linux (the order of this list is truly random)
- Training and personal development opportunities depending on your needs and wishes
- Thorough understanding of multiple programming languages
- You don’t need to be perfect yourself, but you know what darn good code looks like (maintainable, reusable, modular, reliable, scalable, etc.)
- You know best-practices in collaboration processes for the development team (think: code reviews, formatting code, feature flags, merge strategies, etc)
- Ability and interest to guide colleagues
- Fluent professional English, both verbal and written
- Growth mindset: you are open for feedback and different perspectives
- Entrepreneurial spirit: a startup means that some things are not so well arranged, but the upside is that you can help shape the culture of a company.
- Work hard, play hard, rest hard: work extra when needed, rest when we can, celebrate together
- 4+ years experience in software engineering, 1+ years in guiding colleagues
- EU citizen or EU work permit required
- Living in the Netherlands or willing to relocate to the Netherlands for a minimum of 1-2 years
- Be present at all physical meeting every month at an inspiring location in & around Utrecht, the Netherlands (in the future that will probably develop to every 6-8 weeks)
- If you’re interested, send your resume and motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you’re not sure about the role or the match, or have questions? Just send an email with your question to email@example.com.