The OPCW’s Verification Division works towards achieving chemical disarmament and preventing the re-emergence of chemical weapons through participation in the planning and oversight of inspections at both military and chemical industry facilities. The division also manages declarations while maintaining and strengthening the scientific capabilities of the Organisation, especially its laboratory component. The division also conducts Technical Assistance Visits at the request of States Parties.
The Division is responsible for the day-to-day operation of OPCW’s verification regime. It is a key element of the Secretariat, using trustworthy and science-based information to implement all aspects of the Convention including decisions from the Policy Making Organs.
This position is part of the Data Analytics, Reporting and Quality Control section that provides Information Technology solutions to the Verification Division (VER).
The section develops, tests and maintenances applications used internally by the Verification Division and by States Parties to fulfil the requirements of the CWC.
The section also provides advanced Data Analytical capabilities to VER through Operational Reporting and Data Visualizations of the data collected from States Parties and generated during inspections.
The section is also responsible for the implementation and promotion of the Secure Information Exchange (SIX) system used to transfer confidential information between the Technical Secretariat and the States Parties.
Analyses user requirements, prepares functional specifications, design, code, test and implements client/server and web-based applications integrating and implementing security measures wherever they may be necessary; co-ordinates with the users the formalisation of the functional requirements for the development of those applications; designs, develops and test any code, software components and add-ons needed to run the applications.
Defines and designs the relational databases as well as all the required views, functions and procedures; defines and designs the necessary database models and reports.
Performs acceptance tests and carry out the initial installation of systems components in production; provides software support and post-implementation evaluation of systems performance and functionality.
Produces detailed technical and system documentation (both hardcopy and on-line hypertext formats) for all the accomplished work; assists in preparing the appropriate user documentation; provides and coordinates initial user training requirements and user support.
To view the complete job outline please click here.
Qualifications and Experience
Essential: Advanced university degree in Computer Sciences or other domains related to Information Technology; a first level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Knowledge of the Agile Software Development methodologies (FDD, XP, etc.) and practical knowledge of developing, testing, deploying and maintaining web based and client/server applications.
Highly Desirable: One or more Microsoft Certification (MCAD, MCSD, MTA, MCDBA or MCP) is highly desirable.
Knowledge and Experience
· Minimum of two years of related experience in database design, development, testing and implementation of medium to large web and client/server applications using SQL server 2008/2012 with an advanced degree or four years relevant experience with a first level degree
· Practical hands-on experience of developing, testing and deploying web and client/server applications, tools, advanced reporting techniques, in a secured environment.
· Continuous working experience with Microsoft .NET 4.0 Framework (Visual Studio.NET) programming, including C#,VB.NET, ADO.NET and ASP.NET, jQuery, Entity Framework, MVC, WinForms, MS Build, TFS, Azure DevOps.
· Practical hands-on experience on any of the following frameworks: Blazor, Razor, Angular, React or Vue.
· Experience in the frequent writing of technical documentation, test documentation, functional specification, user documentation, training documentation, and customer briefings for a variety of design, test and peer reviews is appreciated.
· Solid experience in modern User Interface development and experience in developing installer package for windows.
· Experience in providing first and second level support for application with significant number of international users.
· Previous experience in an international organisation or in a multicultural environment is an asset.
Skills and Competencies
· Proficiency with Microsoft T-SQL database query language, including triggers, views, stored procedures and user defined functions.
· Proficiency with XML and XSL transformation.
· Good practical knowledge of medium to large web and client/server applications with relational databases and advanced reporting techniques.
· Excellent knowledge in Project Management Methodology like Prince2 or PMBOK.
· Excellent analytical skills; ability to react quickly in problematic situations with minimal supervision.
· Excellent organisational skills and ability to work within a team of developers and with the user community.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
Fluency in English is essential and a good working knowledge of one of the other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish) is desirable.
This fixed-term appointment is for the duration of two years with a six-month probationary period, and is subject to the OPCW Staff Regulations and Interim Staff Rules.
The OPCW is a non-career organisation with limited staff tenure. The total length of service for Professional staff shall not exceed 7 years.
The mandatory age of separation at the OPCW is 65 years.
Fixed-term staff members participate in the OPCW provident fund. A monthly staff contribution is met with a doubled amount by the OPCW to ensure separating staff have the capital necessary to move on to new challenges.
The Director-General retains the discretion to not make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description. Several vacancies may be filled.
Only fully completed applications submitted before the closing date and through OPCW CandidateSpace will be considered. Only applicants under serious consideration for a post will be contacted.
Applications from qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged.
OPCW General Terms and Conditions
Important notice for applicants who are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system
Although headquartered in the Netherlands, the OPCW is not a regular Dutch employer but a public international organisation with its own special status. Please be advised that if you are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system, you will be excluded from this system as a staff member of the OPCW. You will consequently be insured under the organisation’s system. The above also applies to your dependents unless they are employed by a regular Dutch employer, they are self-employed in the Netherlands, or are receiving Dutch social security payments.
Please refer to the website of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment for more information about the possible consequences for you and your dependents, such as exclusion from ‘AWBZ’ and ‘Zorgverzekeringswet’ coverage: ‘Werken bij een internationale organisatie’.