The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is the implementing body for the Chemical Weapons Convention, which entered into force on 29 April 1997. The OPCW, with its 193 Member States, oversees the global endeavor to permanently and verifiably eliminate chemical weapons.
The ultimate aim of the OPCW is to achieve our vision of a world free of chemical weapons in which chemistry is used for peace, progress, and prosperity, and to contribute to international security and stability, general and complete disarmament, and global economic development. Under the OPCW's oversight 96% of the chemical weapons stockpiles declared by possessor States have been verifably destroyed.
The OPCW was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2013 for its extensive efforts to eliminate chemical weapons.
Our mission for a world free of chemical weapons makes people's lives better. Apply to be a part of our team to make the world a better place for all.
This position is part of the Information Services Branch within the Administration Division (ADM). The main responsibilities of this position are the timely deployment of ICT hardware, software, and services, as well as implementation of various projects and tasks to support the Organisation business.
Also, this position provides IT support and performs helpdesk functions to end-users of IT systems at OPCW and rebuilding of normal operational service with minimal impact on the customer within agreed stages and business priorities.
This position increases accessibility, communication and information by providing a single point of contact for ISB.
As the Senior IT Support Assistant (GS-5), you will be responsible for the following:
1st and 2nd level IT support to OPCW staff:
· Incident management: log and respond to IT related issues submitted by staff via IT Service Management tool.
· Resolve problems through technical inspection, analysis and follow- up.
· Following Incident Management lifecycle of recording, classification, prioritization, resolution, escalation and closure.
· Problem management and resolution: troubleshoot recurring issues for root cause analysis and resolving them and/or escalating to the specialist team, when required.
· Escalation to ISB 3rd level Specialists: timely escalation of issues beyond the scope of 1st and 2nd level support.
Operational Technical support to Organisation Staff in provisioning of new services:
· Install and configure hardware/software on endpoints.
· Perform user administration tasks on creating, maintaining, retiring, deleting accounts and access including but not limited to user accounts, email accounts, application access, network access.
· Troubleshoot network and endpoint related hardware and software components.
· Provide back-up support for Network and Telecommunications Assistant for voice and video conferencing services and any other in-person or hybrid events
Asset Inventory tracking and management:
· Apply barcode labels to new equipment and enter all information into the database.
· Maintain an accurate database of IT hardware, software and contracts with all relevant information.
To view the complete job outline please click here.
Qualifications and Experience
Essential: A high school diploma or equivalent diploma of higher secondary education.
Desirable: Supplemental training courses/technical certificates in information technology or other related field is desirable. Relevant Microsoft Certification is desirable; Comptia A+, ITIL foundation certification is an asset.
Knowledge and Experience
· Minimum of four years of progressively responsible experience in Information Technology related areas, preferably in an international organisation.
· Working experience in administration, management and operation of Information Technology environment using Microsoft Operation Systems and MS Office Applications.
· Experience with Symantec Client Management Suite is desirable. Experience in maintaining tracking systems is desirable. Knowledge of ITIL framework would be an asset.
Skills and Competencies
To succeed in this role, you will need the following skills and competencies:
· Knowledge of Microsoft based operating systems.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills with an emphasis on customer service.
· Quick learner who is highly adaptable, has a positive attitude, and stays organised.
Fluency in English is essential and a good working knowledge of one of the other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish) is desirable.
Staff members in the General Services category are normally recruited and paid on a local basis.
This appointment is for the duration of two years, with a six-month probationary period, and is subject to the OPCW Staff Regulations and Interim Staff Rules.
The mandatory age of separation at the OPCW is 65 years.
Fixed-term staff members participate in the OPCW provident fund. A monthly staff contribution is met with a doubled amount by the OPCW to ensure separating staff have the capital necessary to move on to new challenges.
The Director-General retains the discretion to not make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description. Several vacancies may be filled.
Only fully completed applications submitted before the closing date and through OPCW CandidateSpace will be considered. Only applicants under serious consideration for a post will be contacted.
Applications from qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged.
General Terms and Conditions
Important notice for applicants who are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system
Although headquartered in the Netherlands, the OPCW is not a regular Dutch employer but a public international organisation with its own special status. Please be advised that if you are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system, you will be excluded from this system as a staff member of the OPCW. You will consequently be insured under the organisation’s system. The above also applies to your dependents unless they are employed by a regular Dutch employer, they are self-employed in the Netherlands, or are receiving Dutch social security payments.
Please refer to the website of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment for more information about the possible consequences for you and your dependents, such as exclusion from ‘AWBZ’ and ‘Zorgverzekeringswet’ coverage: ‘Werken bij een internationale organisatie’.