Contributing to peace and security. Envision it. Become an Innovator Radar Surveillance at TNO in The Hague.
A system that allows the armed forces to fool enemy radar systems. An application for disrupting radio communications in conflict zones. Or a method to mislead the navigation data of enemy systems. You are the subject matter expert in these projects in the field of electromagnetic innovations. They are diverse, but have one thing in common: they all contribute directly or indirectly to peace and security. The 60 highly trained electrical engineers, physicists and mathematicians of the world-leading Electronic Defense team seek the answer to these types of questions and help to develop electromagnetic innovations. We do this mainly for clients within defense, police and justice. We work together with national and international partners in multidisciplinary projects, scientific panels and NATO working groups. Read more about Electronic Defense here.
What will be your role?
In the coming years, the Royal Netherlands Navy is going to replace a large part of its fleet. The new ships will benefit from an excellent information position and will be equipped with the most advanced sensors and sensor concepts. You will focus your work on these systems that contribute to this information position by continuously monitoring the electromagnetic spectrum for the presence of (hostile) radar signals, interpreting these signals and combining them with knowledge of the ship's own radar signature. In this way, the ship is optimally prepared to take appropriate countermeasures against hostile radar systems in the event of an acute threat. You will help to improve this process and make it future-proof by making smart use of modern techniques in the field of parameter estimation, Machine Learning and tracking, in models, simulations, in experiments and measurements on board, and in data analyses.
What we expect from you
Innovation and development is a given for you. You know how to get things done and are able to translate insights from the scientific world into practice in the domain of defence and security. You can clearly communicate the results of your research in advice, reports and presentations.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- You have completed an academic technical education such as (Technical) Physics, (Technical) Mathematics, Electrical Engineering or Artificial Intelligence.
- You have a demonstrable affinity with Machine Learning, digital signal processing, system modeling, and electromagnetic propagation and/or effects (courses taken and/or interests).
- Knowledge and (work) experience with radar technology and/or radar system concepts is a big plus, but we are also interested if you are a recent graduate.
- The work is in many cases international in character and therefore you have a good command of English in both word and writing. Speaking Dutch is preferred.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 2.800,- and € 5.100,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- Possibility of a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
The selection process
Please apply before November 14th 2021. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
In view of the current Corona restrictions, the selection and onboarding processes have been modified. Your invitation for a job interview will detail the relevant information.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Jane Duinisveld
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-294 07566
Hiring manager: Philip Weimar
Phone number: 08886 63976