What will be your role?
You will have the unique opportunity to make an impact in increasing complex cyber-physical systems (CPS) availability through fundamental improvements in diagnostics methods. You will contribute to the development, improvement and extension of these methods to make systems better diagnosable by design and during operation, improving both high tech systems up-time and product quality performance.
As a scientist operating from industry labs at high-tech giants, you bridge the gap between academia and industrial practice in applied research projects. You share insights that you gain during your research with industrial partners and science. As you often work in a small team, you have an important say in the course of the project. We look forward to you sharing your ideas.
The research projects from ESI (TNO) you can contribute to are numerous. ESI currently has projects on system diagnosability at ASML, Canon, and Philips, focusing both on diagnosing hardware problems and on software issues.Read more about ESI (TNO)
What we expect from you
You are a goal-oriented and self-driven professional energised by delivering high quality results. You enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team of ESI research fellows, industrial and academic partners, where you closely cooperate with the client’s team at the customer premises. Above all you are a team player that we can build on to guide our customer and our own staff successfully through its journey, and are as well able to independently work on problem solutions, motivated to integrate your work in the team result.
What else can you offer?
- A PhD in computer science, engineering or relevant field
- Five or more years of experience, preferably in applied research
- Experience with conceptual modelling or first principles modelling
- Familiarity or experience with maintenance strategies, such as condition-based maintenance, or predictive maintenance
- Interest or experience in diagnostics techniques such as FMEA, FTA, model-based diagnostics, and root cause analysis
- Experience with at least one and willingness to learn the others:
- probabilistic reasoning techniques
- knowledge graphs
- graph theory
- state machines or Petri nets
- Hands-on programming experience, preferably Python or Java. Knowledge about DSLs is preferred
- A system-level mindset with great attention to detail
- Outstanding communication and presentation abilities.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3713 and € 5774 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The selection process
Please apply before the 5th of September 2021. The selection process comprises three interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 10th of September 2021. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 14th of September and the third interview round is planned for the 16th of September. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
In view of the current Corona restrictions, the selection and onboarding processes have been modified. Your invitation for a job interview will detail the relevant information.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘More information’ button.
Recruiter: Yvonne Pribnow
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-11097594
Hiring manager: Wouter Leibbrandt
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 65560